Introduction

>> Saturday, October 11, 2008

The best way to begin this blog is by pointing out that I, Andrew Michael Schroeder, do not enjoy blogs.  Perhaps it is my interest in Foucault and Bentham's Panopticon that makes me distrust the blog format.  (Do I really need to mirror my existence with a digital record?) Or maybe I'm just way to old to actually do this well.  But, for all intensive purposes, I have never been interested in perpetually displaying my thoughts/ideas/actions in a digital format – until early this morning when I realized that I have lost one of my sketchbooks.


I am an analog kind of guy.  Although I admire the digital existence (Hey! Save a tree), The physical nuances of a good piece of paper and some graphite sticks known as pencils will never be matched by the blogosphere.  

However, that lost sketchbook is grating on me.  And that is why I am here, typing in 12 pt Courier/Courier New.  I need an open format that allows me to share my ideas and not freak out when I accidentally leave a Moleskine on the #24 Metro-Transit bus.

With this blog I hope to actually present my viewpoints on various topics of interest: specifically, conceptual approaches to art, architecture, urbanism, and also the constructions of the dialog of space and place which seem to shape my life so exquisitely.  

0 comments: